The ATP has suspended Nick Kyrgios for at least three weeks and fined him an additional $25,000 for “conduct contrary to the integrity of the game.”
The men’s tennis tour announced the sanctions Monday after an investigation into the Australian player’s conduct during a second-round loss to German qualifier Mischa Zverev at the Shanghai Masters.
Kyrgios had already been fined a total of $16,500 for failing to give a full effort, unsportsmanlike conduct and verbal abuse of a spectator.
The ATP says the 21-year-old Kyrgios will be suspended for eight weeks through Jan. 15 — a day before the start of the Australian Open.
However, it says the suspension will be reduced to three weeks if Kyrgios agrees to enter “a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist or an equivalent plan approved by the ATP.” That means he would eligible to return on Nov. 7.